Increased Air Travel Expected Later This Week Due to Spring Break
There will be 26% more passengers traveling this week compared to last year
INDIANAPOLIS (March 30, 2022) – The Indianapolis Airport Authority anticipates approximately 48,500 passengers will travel through the Indianapolis International Airport (IND) later this week and into the weekend.
The IAA reminds passengers of the following tips as they head to the Indy airport this week to fly out to their destinations.
PREPARING FOR SPRING BREAK TRAVEL
With travel to be very near March 2019 pre-pandemic levels, it’s important for travelers to be prepared before arriving at the airport. Plan ahead, pack smart, and get to the airport early.
Airport officials say early morning flights (5 a.m. – 8 a.m.) are the most impacted by the surge in travel and encourages travelers flying out during this timeframe to arrive at least two hours early.
TSA checkpoint A opens at 4:15 a.m. and checkpoint B opens at 3:45 a.m. Hoosiers can process through either TSA checkpoint and proceed to their gate. TSA PreCheck is only available on checkpoint A. Airline ticket counters opening time varies, but generally they open two hours before flight departure.
The Indy airport also strongly encouraged travelers to consider the following travel tips below, and to sign up for TSA PreCheck at https://www.tsa.gov/precheck for a smoother screening process, which eliminates the need to remove shoes, belts, 3-1-1 liquids, laptops or light jackets.
Before leaving for the airport
- Always check flight status with the airline prior to arriving at the airport
- Arrive a full two hours ahead of the departure time to get checked in, through security, and to the gate in plenty of time before boarding call
- Download the airline’s mobile app for all pertinent travel update
- Use a mobile boarding pass or print boarding passes ahead of time
- Download the MyTSA app for 24/7 access to the most frequently requested airport security information, including helpful tips for preparing for security, including a searchable database of items that can and can’t go in checked or carry-on bags
- Pack smart – check for prohibited items and follow the 3-1-1 liquids rule. Learn more at: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/refresh-your-memory-liquid-rules
- Bring/wear a face mask – Complimentary face masks are available at Guest Services in the terminal, and the federal mask requirement at airports and on aircraft and public transportation has been extended until April 18, 2022.
- Learn more about COVID-19 health and safety measures at www.ind.com/covid19
- If needed, COVID-19 testing is available at IND. To learn more, visit: www.ind.com/covid19testing
Plan ahead for parking
- For help determining parking options at IND, visit https://www.ind.com/parking
- For a contactless parking experience at IND, register for the free parkIND plus program https://www.ind.com/parking/parkind-plus-program
- Valet parking offers the closest proximity to the pedestrian walkway to the terminal. To learn more, visit https://www.ind.com/parking/valet
At the terminal
- Bring your own reusable water bottle and fill up at the numerous water bottle filling stations located throughout the terminal
- Be mindful that many of IND’s shops and restaurants have adjusted operating hours
- Concourse Connector allows you to explore available options in both concourses, no matter which one you are flying out of
- Most food (excluding liquids) can be brought through TSA screening https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food
- Wear a mask (per federal mandate) -- Complimentary face masks are available at the Guest Services desk
- Practice social distancing, whenever possible and feasible
- For more COVID-19 health and safety measures, visit www.ind.com/covid19
- Explore artwork throughout the terminal from local artists, and the new KIND Gallery space. Learn more at: https://www.ind.com/community/arts-program
- When picking up friends or family, use the Cell Phone Lot to wait then proceed to the drive for pick-up or park in hourly parking and meet your guest inside
SEO Photo Credit: shile317