Indy Airport Is Urging Summer Travelers to Arrive Two Hours Early
Uptick in air travel requires travelers to arrive in plenty of time
INDIANAPOLIS (July 16, 2021) – The Indianapolis Airport Authority is reminding air travelers flying out of the Indianapolis International Airport (IND) to arrive the full two hours before their departure time. An uptick in summer air travel is creating longer lines through security at peak travel times throughout the day, and this can affect travelers ability to arrive at their gate on time.
Early morning flights (5 a.m. – 7 a.m.) are the most impacted and the Indy airport encourages travelers flying out during this timeframe to arrive at least two hours early. TSA checkpoint A opens at 3:30 a.m. and checkpoint B opens at 4:15 a.m. Airline ticket counters opening time varies, but generally, they open two hours before flight departure.
Over the last month, during that early morning timeframe, more travelers are flying through the Indy airport than did prior to the pandemic. It’s anticipated this increase in passenger traffic in the early morning hours will continue through the fall.
In addition, travelers are encouraged to consider these tips to help them have a smooth and safe travel experience this summer:
- Check flight status with the airline prior to arriving at the airport
- It’s very important that travelers plan to arrive at the airport early, giving themselves the full two hours to get checked in, through security, and to their gate in plenty of time before boarding.
- TSA wait time information is available on the airport’s website: www.ind.com
- Pack smart – check for prohibited items and follow the 3-11 liquids rule. Learn more at: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/refresh-your-memory-liquid-rules
- Wear a face mask – learn more about COVID-19 health and safety measures at www.ind.com/covid19
- For help determining parking at IND, travelers can visit https://www.ind.com/parking
- For a contactless parking experience at IND, travelers can register for the free parkIND plus program https://www.ind.com/parking/parkind-plus-program
- If needed, COVID-19 testing is available at IND. To learn more, visit: www.ind.com/covid19testing
- Many of IND’s shops and restaurants have adjusted operating hours
- Concourse Connector allows travelers to explore available options in both concourses, no matter which one travelers are flying out of
- Most food (excluding liquids) can be brought through TSA screening https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food