Indiana, Naturally Featured at Indy Airport as Summer Art Exhibit
Exhibition showcases nature photography from artists throughout Indiana
INDIANAPOLIS (July 31, 2019) – Indiana, Naturally, an exhibition of Indiana nature photography captured by Hoosier photographers, is on display at the Indianapolis International Airport (IND). This is the third time the Arts Council of Indianapolis, The Nature Conservancy in Indiana and the Indy airport have come together to offer this beautiful exhibition, featuring the photography of 25 talented local artists.
The exhibition pieces were selected from 327 submissions featuring photographs of Indiana plant life, wildlife and landscapes submitted by artists throughout Indiana. The photography will be on display in both ticket hall cases and Concourse B through Nov. 10, 2019.
“Indiana has tremendous natural beauty throughout its 92 counties, and talented artists who capture it to share across a diverse community,” said Indianapolis Airport Authority Executive Director Mario Rodriguez. “The Indiana, Naturally exhibition gives passengers a glimpse of the natural settings that are part of what makes our state unique.”
The People’s Natural Choice
The Nature Conservancy will hold a competition on its Facebook page, similar to a “People’s Choice” award, with new artwork debuting each week. The number of “likes” will determine the winning selections. Voting begins Thursday, Aug. 1 at www.facebook.com/TNCindiana/.
“Visitors arriving through the airport may not venture outside of Indianapolis during their trip,” said Julia Moore, director of public art at the Arts Council and organizer of the exhibition. “We love to remind people of the considerable natural beauty found in Indiana.”
The Arts Council of Indianapolis and The Nature Conservancy recognize a talented group of experts that assisted with selecting the artwork on display. Those experts include Emily Wood, Executive Director of the Indiana Wildlife Federation; Indianapolis-based professional photographer JD Nolan; Derek Luchik, field steward for The Nature Conservancy in Indiana, and Chip Sutton, marketing manager for The Nature Conservancy in Indiana.
“Indiana, Naturally is a fitting way to show off so many of the amazing natural places in our state,” said Larry Clemens, state director for the Conservancy in Indiana. “We’re very pleased that Nature Conservancy sites, such as Kankakee Sands in northwest Indiana, are represented in the collection.”
Artists showcased at the Indy airport exhibition include:
- Amber Beams, Roachdale, Ind.
- Amanda Black, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Elaine Butler, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Radhika Cherukuru, Greenwood, Ind.
- Samia Dockery, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Lea Foster, Lafayette, Ind.
- Dave Galloway, Carmel, Ind.
- Michael Gard, Valparaiso, Ind.
- Matt Hakey, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Ronda Hamm, Carmel, Ind.
- Jackie Huppenthal, Dyer, Ind.
- Ryan Jeske, Carmel, Ind.
- Susan Kirt, Valparaiso, Ind.
- Michael Leakey, Westfield, Ind.
- Gary Morrison, Bloomington, Ind.
- Bonnie Phillips, Warsaw, Ind.
- John Puffer, Vincennes, Ind.
- Stephanie Ruiter, Lake Village, Ind.
- Erin Schuerman, Osgood, Ind.
- Darrel Staggs, Mooresville, Ind.
- Dorthyann Strange, Bloomington, Ind.
- Karen Wade, Franklin, Ind.
- Zalman Wainhaus, South Bend, Ind.
- Adam Wilson, Greenfield, Ind.
- Robert Wrenn, Bloomington, Ind.
Click here to learn more about this new art exhibition.