Heavy Air Travel Out of Indy Expected This Weekend
Arrive Early for Departures
INDIANAPOLIS (May 27, 2022) – The Indianapolis Airport Authority anticipates nearly 58,000 passengers will travel out of the Indianapolis International Airport (IND) between May 27 – 30, with Memorial Day being the biggest air travel day.
Airport officials expect almost 17,000 passengers to fly out of Indy on Monday alone, and is reminding travelers to arrive early for departures and follow the tips provided below.
“It’s going to be a busy weekend, with race fans coming in and then leaving on Monday, all in addition to the first wave of summer travel heading out as well,” said Mario Rodriguez, executive director of the Indianapolis Airport Authority. “We haven’t seen passenger numbers like this for race weekend since 2019.”
Rodriguez said it’s going to be crucial for passengers to arrive at the Indy airport at least two hours before departure, give themselves plenty of time to get there with any traffic, plan out their parking, and give careful thought to what goes into their carry-on luggage.
PREPARING FOR RACE WEEKEND DEPARTURES
With race weekend travel at levels reaching 2019 pre-pandemic levels, it’s important for travelers to be prepared before arriving at the airport. Plan ahead, pack smart, and get to the airport early.
Airport officials say early morning flights (5 a.m. – 8 a.m.) are the most impacted by the surge in travel and encourages travelers flying out during this timeframe to arrive at least two hours early.
TSA checkpoint A opens at 4:15 a.m. and checkpoint B opens at 3:45 a.m. Hoosiers can process through either TSA checkpoint and proceed to their gate. TSA PreCheck is only available on checkpoint A. Airline ticket counters opening time varies, but generally they open two hours before flight departure.
The Indy airport also strongly encouraged travelers to consider the following travel tips below, and to sign up for TSA PreCheck at https://www.tsa.gov/precheck for a smoother screening process, which eliminates the need to remove shoes, belts, 3-1-1 liquids, laptops or light jackets.
Before leaving for the airport
- Always check flight status with the airline prior to arriving at the airport
- Arrive a full two hours ahead of the departure time to get checked in, through security, and to the gate in plenty of time before boarding call
- Download the airline’s mobile app for all pertinent travel update
- Use a mobile boarding pass or print boarding passes ahead of time
- Download the MyTSA app for 24/7 access to the most frequently requested airport security information, including helpful tips for preparing for security, including a searchable database of items that can and can’t go in checked or carry-on bags
- Pack smart – check for prohibited items and follow the 3-1-1 liquids rule. Learn more at: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/refresh-your-memory-liquid-rules
- If needed, COVID-19 testing is available at IND. To learn more and make an appointment, visit: www.ind.com/covid19testing
Plan ahead for parking
- For help determining parking options at IND, visit https://www.ind.com/parking
- For a contactless parking experience at IND, register for the free parkIND plus program https://www.ind.com/parking/parkind-plus-program
- Valet parking offers the closest proximity to the pedestrian walkway to the terminal. To learn more, visit https://www.ind.com/parking/valet
At the terminal
- Bring your own reusable water bottle and fill up at the numerous water bottle filling stations located throughout the terminal
- Be mindful that many of IND’s shops and restaurants have adjusted operating hours
- Concourse Connector allows you to explore available options in both concourses, no matter which one you are flying out of
- Most food (excluding liquids) can be brought through TSA screening https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food
- Practice social distancing, whenever possible and feasible
- For more COVID-19 health and safety measures, visit www.ind.com/covid19
- Explore new artwork throughout the terminal from local artists, and the new KIND Gallery space. Learn more at: https://www.ind.com/community/arts-program
- When picking up friends or family, use the Cell Phone Lot to wait then proceed to the drive for pick-up or park in hourly parking and meet your guest inside
SEO photo credit: Instagram user ignitionarts