Indy Air Travel Ticking Up Again This Weekend
Indy airport says arrive early and plan ahead – especially for parking
INDIANAPOLIS (Oct. 14, 2021) – Air travel is expected to tick up again this weekend at the Indianapolis International Airport (IND) as fall break travel continues, and with heavy passenger traffic on Friday and Saturday, the Terminal Garage parking is anticipated to be at capacity.
Airport officials advise travelers to plan ahead, pack smart, get to the airport early and leverage contactless services to help make their travel experience as smooth as possible.
The federal Transportation Security Administration estimates nearly 17,000 passengers will fly out of the Indy airport on Friday, and another almost 18,000 passengers on Saturday.
Early morning flights (5 a.m. – 8 a.m.) are the most impacted and airport officials encourage travelers flying out during this timeframe to arrive at least two hours early.
TSA checkpoint A opens at 3:30 a.m. and checkpoint B opens at 4:15 a.m. Hoosiers can process through either TSA checkpoint and proceed to their gate. TSA PreCheck is only available on checkpoint A. Airline ticket counters opening time varies, but generally they open two hours before flight departure.
The Indy airport also strongly encouraged travelers to consider the following travel tips below, and to sign up for TSA PreCheck at https://www.tsa.gov/precheck for a smoother screening process, which eliminates the need to remove shoes, belts, 3-1-1 liquids, laptops or light jackets.
PLAN AHEAD FOR PARKING
- The IND Terminal Garage is anticipated to be at capacity; travelers are encouraged to use the Economy Lot or Park & Walk Lot
- For help determining parking options at IND, visit https://www.ind.com/parking
- For a contactless parking experience at IND, register for the free parkIND plus program https://www.ind.com/parking/parkind-plus-program
- Valet parking is back and offers the closest proximity to the pedestrian walkway to the terminal. To learn more, visit https://www.ind.com/parking/valet
BEFORE LEAVING FOR THE AIRPORT
- Always check flight status with the airline prior to arriving at the airport
- Arrive a full two-hours ahead of the departure time to get checked in, get through security, and to the gate in plenty of time before boarding call.
- Download the airline’s mobile app for all pertinent travel update
- Use a mobile boarding pass or print boarding passes ahead of time
- Download the MyTSA app for 24/7 access to the most frequently requested airport security information, including helpful tips for preparing for security, including a searchable database of items that can and can’t go in checked or carry-on bags.
- Pack smart – check for prohibited items and follow the 3-1-1 liquids rule. Learn more at: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/refresh-your-memory-liquid-rules
- Bring/wear a face mask – Complimentary face masks are available at Guest Services in the terminal, and the federal mask requirement at airports and on aircraft and public transportation has been extended until January 2022.
- Learn more about COVID-19 health and safety measures at www.ind.com/covid19
- If needed, COVID-19 testing is available at IND. To learn more, visit: www.ind.com/covid19testing
AT THE TERMINAL
- Grab a free water bottle on the way in from the Terminal Garage or bring your own reusable water bottle and fill up at the numerous water bottle filling stations located throughout the terminal.
- Be mindful that many of IND’s shops and restaurants have adjusted operating hours
- Concourse Connector allows you to explore available options in both concourses, no matter which one you are flying out of
- Most food (excluding liquids) can be brought through TSA screening https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food
- Wear a mask (per federal mandate) -- Complimentary face masks are available at the Guest Services desk.
- Practice social distancing, whenever possible and feasible
- For more COVID-19 health and safety measures, visit www.ind.com/covid19
- Explore new artwork throughout the terminal with murals from local artists, a nature photography exhibition and the new KIND Gallery space. Learn more at: https://www.ind.com/community/arts-program
- When picking up friends or family, use the Cell Phone Lot to wait then proceed to the drive for pick-up or park in hourly parking and meet your guest inside